To Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake:
1 package Deliriously Delicious Devil's Food Chocolate Cake Mix
12 Tbsp. unsalted butter/unsalted margarine/ shortening, softened
2 cups sugar* (suggested starting amount)
4 large eggs, room temperature**
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups buttermilk***
3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
* To make this cake sugar free, you will need to add 12 Tbsp. butter/margarine/shortening. 3/4 cup agave, 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, 4 large eggs and 1/3 cup water to the mix. The complete gluten-free recipe with instructions can be found inside the box.
** Egg-free recipe utilizing salba is printed inside the box.
*** To make non-dairy buttermilk, add 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice OR 5 teaspoons cider vinegar to 1 2/3 cups warm milk substitute. Let sit until thickens and cools (about 25 minutes). Remove enough to make 1 1/2 cups for this recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9" round pans.
2. Place butter/margarine in bowl of mixer with paddle attachment. Beat until creamy, approximately two minutes. Add sugar to butter and beat until fluffy, approximately three minutes.
3. Add eggs, one at a time and beat until thoroughly mixed.
4. Add Mix, vanilla, buttermilk and vinegar and beat until thoroughly mixed. Stop mixer and scrape down with spatula. Beat again.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan(s). Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 37 minutes for two 9" round cake pans
6. Let cake(s) cool in pan(s) for 5 minutes. Then invert onto cooling racks and cool completely before frosting with cream cheese icing.